Monday, May 21, 2007

The Home Stretch, Part 2

On this, the eve of the provincial election, I thought I would share some of my thoughts going into tomorrow’s festivities. I will keep the format of my pre-nomination post, because I am a bit superstitious:

1) You can move mountains in relatively short order. Seine River was a late bloomer for the Tory camp. The nomination meeting was held a mere two days prior to Gary Doer’s election call. Regardless of all of the bravado that is coming from some people posting anonymous comments, they know just as well as we do how close this race will be. This speaks volumes about our volunteers that have managed to make Seine River a riding to watch.

2) A wise person told us that Mrs. P&UW and I would be amazed how many people step up to the plate once you win a nomination race. Were they ever right. The realization that so many individuals were helping out when they could be doing a plethora of other things put wind into my sails. They were out pounding signs and walking with me in the hottest (and sometimes cold & wet) weather. I owed it to each and every one of them to give 120% each and every day. Words alone cannot express my gratitude for the chance to meet some of the most fantastic and inspirational people around.

3) My respect for Hugh has increased exponentially. Even the MSM themselves have admitted Hugh got the roughest ride over the course of this campaign. While Mia Rabson indicated Hugh “muddled” through CFS taunts at the U of M, my impression was that he soldiered through it - I challenge anyone to maintain their composure the way Hugh did during that press release. I personally saw him field many tough questions at the door deftly and expertly. Heck, I was oftentimes the one asking some of the tough questions. As an ex-banker, rest assured I had many people fake their way through a barrage of my questioning. Not Hugh. He was articulate and well versed in every issue & concern I raised with him. There is no doubt in my mind we need a leader like him if we really hope to restore our province to its former glory.

How do I feel right now? Eerily calm, all things considered. The closest comparable I can come up with is the feeling you have just before a final exam. You have done everything you can to prepare and it all comes down to what happens the next day. Instead of making sure I am using the same type of pen and having my trusty HP financial calculator that successfully got me through many prior exams, I am blogging the night before. After all, it did work the last time I faced an electoral race…

7 Comments:

At 9:23 PM, Blogger Mark said...

I'd stopped blogging about Manitoba because most of my visitors are from the United States and and to a lesser degree the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia and Asia.

However, the few visitors that I do get from Manitoba on my blog has invariably (about 90% of the time) typed your name into google and promptly clicks on your blog or website in my sidebar. They don't even bother to look at what I've posted. I've got a feeling you are going to win the riding!

 
At 9:43 PM, Blogger Unapologetic Ex-Winnipegger said...

Thanks for that tidbit. I've been following your blog but have been unable to comment due to the hectic schedule of late. I hope you continue to post entries about your take on the Manitoba political scene - it adds a different perspective!

 
At 10:01 PM, Blogger PITT said...

good luck tomorrow...it will be close. I can understand how you have gained more respect for Hugh During the campaign .....he has proven himself a leader.

 
At 8:39 AM, Blogger Nathan Giesbrecht said...

Good luck tonight. It'll be very exciting to see a blogger move on to being an MLA. Congratulations on a well run campaign!

 
At 5:04 PM, Blogger tooxs said...

Nice try Douche bag. Clearly all of the illegal signs that you put up during the campaign didn't help your cause. They just made the neighborhood look bad, and made you look like a dink.

Better luck next time.

:)

 
At 10:45 AM, Blogger Nathan Giesbrecht said...

Tooxs:

First of all your mother gave you a really shitty name.

Secondly, you should know that it's in bad taste to kick a man when he's down.

It's one thing to disagree with someone's ideology, but it's a whole different story when you're knocking a guy who's trying to make his, and your world, a better place.

Steve brought a lot of ideas to the debate, which is what democracy is all about... debating ideas. While the voters may not have sided with him (this time), he helped make the process more democractic and we all owe him, and everybody else who runs for office.

 
At 8:33 AM, Blogger Unapologetic Ex-Winnipegger said...

Thanks for the well wishes everyone. It would seem that I have picked up a blog troll along the way. I have the sneaking suspicion it is the same crank that has been calling our office.

Having had amicable discourse with Theresa Oswald, Peter Bjornson and Greg Selinger over the past few days since the election, I can assure you this blog's resident troll and the angry resident from a few posts back are both anomolies in the NDP camp, not to mention society at large.

While some of us may not agree with the NDP's management of the province, there are respectful ways of articulating our disagreement. Which is why you can count me in for round two in a few years' time...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home