Thursday, August 24, 2006

A Right Hook and Left Jab

My dialogue with Manimal Farm vis-à-vis my last posting got me pondering what parts of my personal convictions would raise the hackles of those on the left and on the right of the political spectrum. An unfortunate consequence of trying to stake out middle ground is that you invoke the ire of TWO factions. So without further ado, I bring you:

Beliefs to Annoy the Right

I am an agnostic. There - I said it. I believe in a higher power but I don’t profess to know what shape this higher power takes. I respect and encourage the beliefs of others as long as they come from a good place. I don’t think God, Allah, Ganesha or any other deity would want followers to kill in His/Her name. More people in the world don’t believe in your religion than do - does this mean that the non-believers are going to hell? I think that as long as they live honest and productive lives, they’ll get into whatever pearly gates are open in the afterlife. I am proof positive that not all Harper supporters are religious zealots.

I believe in helping the less fortunate. Charity is the noblest of human undertakings. Without it, we are as opportunistic as vultures. One day I hope humanity eradicates poverty. Not all people are downtrodden out of sheer laziness – it can happen out of circumstance or bad luck.

Prostitution should be legalized. They don’t call this the world’s oldest profession for nothing. Making prostitution illegal drives it underground. This only benefits the criminals and the spread of disease. As long as any sexual undertakings are consensual and between adults, I don’t believe it’s government’s place to get involved.

I am ok with abortion. If you are not willing to ensure that you will provide the proper emotional and financial care of a child you will be bringing into this world, that child might be better off not being born. I refer any reader to Freakonomics Chapter 4. They make a much more compelling case than I ever could.

Beliefs to Annoy the Left

I am a fiscal conservative. I firmly believe that all resources are finite. As such, we must make tough choices to optimize and leverage these finite resources. This means that education, poverty, homelessness, animal shelters, etc. will never get all the money they may need or ask for.

All people are not equal. While it would be nice if the former were false, the statistical bell curve proves otherwise. Some people are taller, smarter or faster and some develop quicker than others. Any politically correct attempts to “mercy pass” students who are not ready for the next grade may make them feel good about themselves in the short run but is setting them up for dismal failure when they eventually hit the real world.

Not all people are worthy of charity. A small contingent of people that rely on welfare, etc. cheat the system. This steals resources from families that actually merit these payments. If there was a system that weeded these cheats out, I would be all for it. I also believe that if you are on some form of government support, you should not be entitled to own a pet. There is something wrong about a ward of the state having wards of their own, be they children or pets.

Bringing children into the world that you cannot provide for financially OR emotionally is child cruelty. Poverty activists love to break out the number of adults and children living in poverty. Why do these activists always forgive the adults for bringing a child into the world that they cannot care for? I would have loved to have children earlier in my life but I elected to wait until I was emotionally and financially ready. Why are others immune from doing this too? There is a plethora of free birth control at medical clinics so the costs of same cannot be an excuse. If you cannot afford children (or pets) with your own means, don’t have them.

7 Comments:

At 10:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, you made it through that whole post without mentioning adoption. But hey, I'm sure "freakonomics" can explain why that shouldn't be an option

 
At 10:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice write. Sounded very sincere and like you've done a great deal of thinking about where and what your personal and political priorities lie.

A clear written statement of beliefs is something that voters should demand of those who aspire to political office.

While political parties can develop policies and build election platforms, there are times when the commitments contained in them can not always be met for very valid reasons.

But a statement of beliefs would allow the voter to have a better indication if that person is a suitable proxy for their interests in meeting the challenges of change and adaption.

Good job!

 
At 11:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll try this part out if you don't mind, editing for brevity:

Beliefs to Annoy the Left

"As such, we must make tough choices to optimize and leverage these finite resources."

Gary Doer has probably said much the same in different ways over the last seven years.

"This means that education, poverty, homelessness, animal shelters, etc. will never get all the money they may need or ask for."

Poverty and homelessness never have in this province. Don't think people on assistance have had an increase in a decade.

"All people are not equal."

Don't know many lefties would disagree with this. What matters is equality under the law.

"Not all people are worthy of charity. A small contingent of people that rely on welfare, etc. cheat the system."

Fraud can be found in any social class. Especially the more wealthy.

"I also believe that if you are on some form of government support, you should not be entitled to own a pet."

If you had to feed the critter out of your own food allowance, you probably wouldn't want to own one either.

"Bringing children into the world that you cannot provide for financially OR emotionally is child cruelty."

I know alot of people who can provide for their kids financially. Don't know how much they love them though.

"If you cannot afford children (or pets) with your own means, don’t have them."

So we should deny the poor the chance to bear and love their children? If we did that during the Great Depression, Canada would have been pretty underpopulated, no? And who would we have sent into WW2 to defeat fascism?

Never apologize Unapologetic. you have a thought provoking blog.

 
At 9:42 AM, Blogger Unapologetic Ex-Winnipegger said...

Anonymous:
Adoption would be the preferred option in my books. As evidenced by the fact that adoption is not always used now even in the face of long wait lists, it is not always an alternative.

Harry:
Thanks for the kind words. Comments Closed planted the seed by calling me an Angry Tory and then our discussion really got me thinking about it in more detail. So I guess I have you both to thank or blame. ;)
Your statement of beliefs is pure genius. I think it would go a long way in helping voters make the most informed decision possible. Given our cynicism towards Red Books and other action plans, we could finally hold politicians to account. Getting them to clearly enunciate their beliefs without political sidestepping might be another matter. Where there's a will, however...

Uncle Joe:
Thanks for the kind comments too. On your last part there, I think it prudent that people, where possible, ride out economic cycles prior to bearing children. I concede this is not always possible and good fortunes can easily go bad. I was thinking more in terms of the families where social assistance was going on from generation to generation.

I have to admit I had some reservations about posting what I thought would garner me some incendiary comments. Thanks to all three of you for stopping in and providing some intelligent and thoughtful insights.

 
At 9:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. I couldn't agree with you more on every single point.

I'm starting to wonder if I have a second personality who likes to blog.

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger Unapologetic Ex-Winnipegger said...

Now if there was only a way I could get Mrs. P&UW to say the same thing.... ;)

Thanks for the positive comment!

 
At 9:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hooray for Libertarians.

From http://www.lp.org/article_85.shtml
"Libertarians agree with conservatives about freedom in economic matters, so we're in favor of lowering taxes, slashing bureaucratic regulation of business, and charitable -- rather than government -- welfare. But Libertarians also agree with liberals on personal tolerance, so we're in favor of people’s right to choose their own personal habits and lifestyles."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home