Tuesday, January 30, 2007

She Just Ain’t That Into You, Pal

Once again, the rumours are starting to circulate that IKEA is going to bless us with a store. Maybe it’s the fact that most of their furniture reminds me of the morgue gurney being wheeled about in the intro to Six Feet Under but I for one do not care whether or not IKEA deems us worthy.

Some other Winnipeggers seem to have a dysfunctional relationship with IKEA. They lament that their home town doesn’t have this big box outlet while frenetically ordering from their catalogue. This conjures up images of some pathetic single fellow buying fancy dinners and bouquets for a woman who obviously does not share the same feelings. Said female has no qualms about stringing him along for the endless litany of shwag.

Perhaps those Winnipeggers, much like our single friend, must come to the realization that reeking of desperation coupled with a blind willingness to pay does not make for a compelling suitor. Once the steady stream of Winnipeg catalogue revenues stops, maybe our great city will seem far more attractive.

I personally will like IKEA a whole lot better once they start hiring Winnipeggers and paying property taxes. Just don’t expect me to buy any of their gurneys

4 Comments:

At 3:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard that when Ikea comes they are going to bring the Jets back with them.

 
At 9:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ikea will never come here as they make too much money from their catalogue sales. Why open a store, pay all the taxes and hire all the staff when winnipeggers are happy enough visiting ikea.com

p.s. the Jets suck. They're gone, get over it.

 
At 5:17 PM, Blogger PITT said...

I think everyone went to Jets games to see the other team. The only time our family ever went was to see the habs ( my dad's fav team) , the Flames ( my fav team ) , and whoever gretzky was playing for at the time ( my brothers favorite team).

 
At 8:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still remember the first time I was in a JYSK store. There was a woman (obviously trying to look like she was from Tuxedo) who turned to her companion and said "This is just a poor man's IKEA!"

I thought to myself, good, I'll pay the half price and she can fly to Calgary to shop with the rest of her snobbish friends.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home